Sunday, March 1, 2009

Our $20 gift card for $60

A local gas station has a great deal: For $30 they will give you 3 car washes(worth $8 each) and a $20 gift certificate to Applebee's. Seeing an opportunity for a cheap date we bought it.

Try #1: We went to Applebees that night to use the gift card. Turns out the items we bought were not able to count for the $20 deal. Dang, we payed for the meal and left the restaurant with our gift card.

Try #2: Valentine's day I thought to myself we have a free meal at Applebee's, we might as well go out to lunch since it is the day of love. Unfortunately the card wasn't redeemable on Valentine's day so once again we paid for the meal and left the restaurant with our gift card.

Try #3: Last night we dropped the kids off at our friends and headed to Applebee's for one last try. (Anthony and I were both in agreement on the way to the restaurant if we couldn't redeem it tonight, we would then give the gift card away). We were finally able to redeem the card, however, it was the longest wait we have ever had to be seated, and to be feed. To top it off both Anthony and I were sick within 30 minutes of leaving the restaurant. Although the gas station deal has treated many of our friends to a cheap meal Anthony and I will never be buying that again.

Although the gift card to Applebee's didn't treat us very good, the car washes made the car look great.

3 comments:

call me K said...

I always flash my coupon right away. But I am sure that you have learned that by now!
That is such a sad story! No wonder you don't want to go to lunch today. I wouldn't either.

Better luck at Red Robin for the birthday dinner.

Dick&Erica said...

ha ha! richard and i were laughing about this for a long time! we've learned that applebee's always LOOKS better than it tastes.

Amber said...

I've always wondered when I drive past there if that's a good deal or not...good to know!