Tuesday, May 20, 2008

So confused

Before you read my post I would just like to say Anthony is practically perfect in every way and he is the most wonderful husband ever.

This happens on a fairly regular basis and I am so confused, who would you discipline when this happens?

We (Kristie, Anthony, Parker) are sitting at the dinner table eating dinner. Kristie stands and leaves the table, puts her dishes in the sink (Kristie is gone for no more than 1 minute). Kristie walks back to the dinning room and finds Parker (who was sitting quietly eating his dinner when I left) has now turned his chair upside down and is doing everything but eating his food. Who is Kristie to discipline?

Kristie chooses: Anthony
Why: he is sitting right next to Parker, I know he sees what Parker is doing. I think Anthony is the one who came up with our rule that when Parker leaves the dinner table and starts playing he is done and needs to clear his plate.

Every time this happens I get after Anthony, and every time Anthony acts so innocent wondering why he is getting in trouble because he is the one sitting quietly eating his dinner. (Do you ever remember that happening when you were growing up? Your brother/sister does something bad and you get in trouble for being there?) Anyways who would you get after?

5 comments:

Amber said...

I completely agree with your choice. Kids know what they can and cannot do with each parent.

Katy and Mike said...

I know I don't have any kids, but I would say DEFINITELY discipline both of them! I won't mention any names, but I have seen this same thing happening over the years in a family I am VERY close to where the mom has rules and disciplines the kids for breaking them, but as soon as she leaves the dad just let's them do whatever they want. He doesn't really say "go ahead and do whatever you want", but he doesn't stop them from doing things he knows they're not supposed to. He just doesn't say anything. I think this has caused a lot of the problems that have happened in this family over the years. I've told Mike before that this is my #1 concern in having kids. I'm afraid I'll set rules and when I'm not around he won't enforce them. I'm trying to start training him on this one now even though we don't have kids yet. Bet you never knew I was so passionate about this subject!!

I hope you're doing well, and your family is soooo dang cute!

Peas in a Pod said...

I agree with Katy, punish both! Parker knows what he is supposed to be doing, Anthony knows he should be stopping it. Also, don't get after Anthony until Parker is out of earshot and sight. They start playing you against each other at a young age; all parental discipline conversations shouldn't take place infront of the kids. You end up 'pulling the rug out from under the other pereson' If Brandon doesn't like the way I do something, and he says it infront of Kyleigh, she will say 'yeah mom, dads right' and take sides! Then my authority means nothing because she know dad is going to try and override mommy and then we end up fighting and her naughty behavior is forgotten. So she wins.. I would correct Parker and impose what ever consequence you have agreed on, and then say quitely to Anthony that whatever the issue is will be discussed later! The next time it happens, have Anthony correct the behavior so Parker knows that you are both on the same page. Good luck, as with any advice, take it or leave it...

Susie said...

I agree with everyone's advice and I plan on using it! As with everything it probably will take some time...stay tuff!

Stephanie said...

Both...but I would say Parker immediately and Anthony later. I think boys, or at least my hubby, needs individual attention...especially when it comes to discipline. What am I saying...the girls need it too!