Monday, February 18, 2008

The Parker Challenge

I hate vegetables. When I was raised my parents didn't like vegetables, so I hardly had to eat any. I only had to eat a small spoonful of peas or corn at dinner and that was a sufficient vegetable intake for the day. As far as I was concerned if it wasn't peas in a pod or corn on the cob there was no point in eating it.

I now am trying to change my ways and actually enjoy vegetables. Not a very easy change to make, but I am determined. Here is a story of how hard I am trying:

Today while preparing lunch I decided instead of chips to go with our lunch we needed to eat some carrots. I usually eat about 4 carrots and call it good, but today I thought in my head I am going to eat as many carrots as Parker(isn't that sad my 2 year old is my example). As if Parker could read my thoughts he finished his carrots and asked for more, looking at me as if to challenge me.

I took that challenge. I gave him more and then took an equivalent amount for myself. Parker continued to do this, asking for more and more like he actually thinks carrots taste good. Well, he didn't stop there. He ate more and more from 6 carrots to 10 carrots then telling me "more mom more." He had eaten 14 now, 16, now he was up to 18 carrots. I just kept wondering how many stinking carrots am I going to have to eat. Parker finishes chewing and again asks for more, then as if my prayers had been answered I saw there were only 4 carrots left in the bag. I gave him 2 and I took the last 2.

What in the world? I think I have eaten more carrots today than I have my whole life combined. The worst part is, after all those carrots I didn't have room in my belly to eat any of my left over chocolate from Valentines day. I guess this could be a good thing.

6 comments:

Amber said...

how funny! Aby love carrots too. steamed, roasted, raw, pureed. you name it she loves it.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! That is freaking hilarious!

Melanie said...

too funny !!! You'll have to come over and I'll make you some veggies cooked the right way!!! then you'll want to eat them!

April said...

Haha! That's too funny! Good job, Parker, making mommy eat her veggies! So are you going to continue the "Parker challenge"? Or just declare him the victor?

Jacqueline said...

Hi Kristie!

This is Jacqueline (Leaver) Stephens. We were in the LDS sorority together up at Weber State. I was so excited to come across your blog by accident; it will be fun to catch up with where you are and what you are doing!

brentandkashann said...

I am learning lots about Kristy on her blog. You hate vegetables??!! That is pretty amazing all the carrots you downed then.